“Christianity” is an ACTION word
I speak to you tonight not as babes in Christ but as seasoned believers. Many of us have been on this journey many years, some much more than others.
Tonight, the word I bring is meant not only to Encourage us and Challenge us, but also to Warn us.
Everywhere we look we see people sinking in hopelessness and our world slipping more and more into moral decay.
The Old Testament Prophet Isaiah, said speaking to the Hebrew people of his time –
… there is no one who calls on Your name, Who stirs himself up to take hold of You; For You have hidden Your face from us, And have consumed us because of our iniquities.
Isaiah 64:7 (NKJV)
The state of our world today has many similarities to that time long ago which caused God to turn His face from them, withhold blessings, and even punishing them for their sins.
King Solomon said in his time –
31Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way, And be filled to the full with their own fancies. 32For the turning away of the simple will slay them, And the complacency of fools will destroy them; 33But whoever listens to me will dwell safely, And will be secure, without fear of evil.”
Proverbs 1: 31-33 (NKJV)
Many in the church have become comfortable or complacent in their Christian walk. You may be thinking –
- I lead a good life and go to church and say prayers over meals. I’m good.
Or you may think –
- I’ve been doing this life a long time, I deserve to rest. …. I know that we all go through seasons of life, but we have not been called to rest or become comfortable in our Christianity especially as we watch people struggle around us and our world spiraling out of control.
- Lastly, you may have simply given up on God because you don’t see him working in your own life.
The Prophet Jeremiah said –
21For the shepherds have become dull-hearted, And have not sought the Lord; Therefore they shall not prosper, And all their flocks shall be scattered.
I repeat – “Christianity” is an ACTION word
The apostle John gave a warning in Revelations, relaying the words of God to one of the 7 churches of the end times –
15“I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17Because you say, ‘I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing’—and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked—
Revelations 3:15-17 (NKJV)
This Christian journey takes work. To live a fruitful, blessed life requires action.
- If we are not diligent and purposeful, we will fall back into our human nature of sin. Sin is like gravity always pulling us downward.
- If you don’t work at your marriage, the relationship will suffer … or worse.
- You have to work at raising your children in the ways of the Lord or our world’s perverse society will.
- We have to purposefully work to fulfill the great commission to reach this lost world so our family, friends, and neighbors can also have the hope of salvation and eternal life with Christ.
God told us to diligently do these:
- Praise His Name – The bible is literally full of scripture on the importance of praising God and examples of this.
- Seek His Face Continually – seeking His direction for our lives. You do this by reading His word, attending church, bible studies, etc.
- Pray Without Ceasing for your family, friends, the church and our nation. God moves when we pray.
… you do not have because you do not ask. 3You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.
10Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.
- Lastly, we are called to Do the work of the Lord
Feed the poor, visit the widows, work in service to the Lord at church or with the children, facilitate a small group.
We are to use our God-given talents and gifts to further the kingdom. If you don’t know how to get involved or what your gifts are, attend the Growth Track.
More opportunities outside the church walls to stand for our God and faith
- Stand in peaceful protest outside the Rogers Planned Parenthood center on Poplar street
- Attend the Loving choices Banquet supporting them financially
- Speak up at a school board meeting
You don’t have to do something huge or that takes all of your time but do something!
The apostle Paul spoke to the Hebrew people saying
10For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 11And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, 12that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
10 … Be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. 11Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. 12For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
Ephesians 6:10-13 (NKJV)